Equity Trader – 3 Years' Experience
Full Time, Permanent
Be Boring. Make Money.™ is our investment approach, but we are anything but dull. We are a diverse team of professionals—all with a shared goal: to be the best.
We celebrate our unique and independent culture. We take pride in doing things a little differently than other investment firms. Our pursuit of excellence means that a career with Mawer is demanding, however, interesting challenges are plentiful, and innovative ideas, diverse opinions, and teamwork are expected and rewarded regardless of title or tenure.
We are currently seeking an exceptional colleague to join our investment research team. We look for self-motivated individuals willing and able to enhance our research process, strengthen our culture, and help build Mawer into one of the best global investment management firms.
- Work along-side our Asia Pacific equity trader in the Singapore office to execute trades for all Asia Pacific regional markets. Advising on liquidity, impact and strategy for trade implementation throughout the duration of trades.
- Integrate with the rest of our research team, which is mostly located in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. This does require out of typical office working hour meetings, and some travel to Canada.
- Work closely with the rest trading team, based in Toronto, Ontario, Canada to prepare daily market notes for the firm, participate in weekly meetings and become a seamless part of moving information around the globe to best prepare our team for daily and on-going excellence.
- Work closely with Mawer’s LAB to automate and improve current processes and help the trading desk improve on its calibration culture and improve its use of data. (The LAB is a technology infrastructure group within Mawer’s research team that uses technology to assist in the firm’s investment process).
- Understand and communicate basic fundamental equity analysis on our global holdings to the research team in a timely and effective manner as well as communicate macro-economic activity that may have an impact on current or future fund performance.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with our global broker network, along with other counterparties and educate them on Mawer, our investment philosophy and trading strategy.
- Liaison with operations to ensure timely settlement of all global equity trades and become an operational expert for the region.
- Learn/understand global market trading rules and reporting requirements and look for ways to improve our processes.
Education & Skills
- Passion for trading and investing.
- Detail oriented.
- Strong communication skills both written and verbal.
- Strong negotiation skills.
- Independently motivated
- Data science (statistics, Python, R, Matlab, SQL or similar) – preferred.
- Software development (C#, Java or similar) – preferred.
- Minimum of 3 years of trading experience
- Track record of excellence
- A strong understanding of market structure in all Asia Pacific markets. Market structure knowledge in Europe and North America would be considered an asset.
- Strong knowledge of electronic trading providers in the region, the strategies and how they interact with the individual markets.
- Desire for self-improvement with a competitive and winning attitude
- Must be willing and able to work flexible hours trading as required.
- Must be willing and able to travel to Canada as required.
- Directly contribute to the firm’s growth as a global investment manager
- Learn and work alongside high-performing individuals, within a team that has consistently delivered exceptional long-term investment results
- Be a part of a meritocracy in which the quality of ideas supersedes hierarchy
- The potential for equity ownership over time based on the firm’s selection criteria
- Our strong culture that emphasizes candour, intellectual curiosity, continuous learning, excellence and teamwork
- Career development opportunities
- Comprehensive benefits package
How to apply
If this sounds of great interest to you, please apply now. Applicants should provide one PDF including a résumé (no cover letters please), most recent university transcripts, and a response to each of the following questions (maximum one page):
- Imagine yourself 10 years from now (or longer if you prefer) and that you’ve accomplished all your life’s goals over this time frame. Describe the scene. What have you achieved and what makes it ideal?
- In what area(s) of your life have you demonstrated a track record of excellence, outside of academics? Please provide examples of you demonstrating tenacity to achieve these goals.
Apply online: https://www.mawer.com/careers
Deadline: Deadline: March 10th, 12pm SGT
Only applications that include all required materials will be considered.
Established in 1974, Mawer Investment Management Ltd. is an independent firm that provides investment management services across all major asset classes to a broad range of institutional and individual clients. We are proud of our reputation as one of Canada’s most respected investment management firms, and strive to continually deliver long-term investment excellence, build strong client partnerships, and live our core values. Mawer currently manages approximately $55 billion (USD) in assets and employs over 200 people in Calgary, Toronto, the U.S., and Singapore.
No telephone inquiries please.
We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.