Director of Active Strategies
- New Mexico
- Salary range is $ 165,000 – 180,000
- 04 Jan 2023
- 05 Mar 2023
- Job Function
- Credit Analysis, Economics, Hedge Funds, Multimanager Strategies, Performance Analysis, Portfolio Management: Alternatives, Portfolio Management: Equities, Portfolio Management: Fixed Income, Portfolio Management: Multi-Asset, Private Equity/Venture Capital
- Industry Sector
- Asset Management, Asset Owner, Finance - General, Government
- CFA Charterholder, Passed CFA Level I, Passed CFA Level II, Passed CFA Level III (Charter Pending)
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Director of Active Strategies
The Public Employees Retirement Association of New Mexico (PERA) is a multi-employer public pension plan serving 90,000+ members with an externally managed portfolio of approximately $17 billion, including PERA Smart Save, a supplemental deferred compensation 457b plan, with approximately 23,000 participants and $754 million in assets.
The mission of the Board of PERA is to preserve, protect, and administer the Trust to meet its current and future obligations and provide quality services to Association members.
In the context of dynamic capital market environment, PERA seeks to position the Fund to provide for liquidity, yield, and capital appreciation principally through prudent capital and risk allocation.
PERA is recruiting for a Director of Active Strategies responsible for oversight of the strategic vision of all active strategies, liquid and illiquid.
Successful candidates will possess a high degree of intellectual curiosity, the ability to think critically and creatively about complex challenges, be able to communicate effectively in both written and verbal contexts, possess a passion for quantitative and qualitative analysis, and have a strong interest in investment strategy and asset manager research. Culture is a focus point at PERA and successful candidates should thrive in a collaborative team setting yet also have the ability to work independently while adapting in a fast-paced, changing environment.
1. Responsible for portfolio construction, strategic planning, and oversight of total fund.
2. Supervision of 5 employees across asset classes, liquid and illiquid.
3. Provides direction and oversight for due diligence of new and existing investment managers and strategies
4. Demonstrates expertise in all strategy areas and asset classes.
5. Provides direction and oversight for implementation and execution of portfolio, strategy, and investment-specific recommendations.
6. May act as lead project manager on research and operational projects.
7. Provide direction and oversight of investment recommendations based on strategic asset allocation decisions.
8. Provide direction and oversight in the validation of monthly and quarterly performance and risk reporting.
9. Assist in process and procedures for internal control and risk management functionality.
10. Provide direction and oversight in PERA’s quantitative analytics efforts through the development of internal modeling capabilities.
11. Corresponds frequently with investment managers, external service providers and industry experts to formulate market opinions, identify investment opportunities and gauge investment trends.
12. Contributes to ongoing process improvements.
13. Attends professional seminars and conferences; establishes professional relationships with institutional investor peers and with tenured industry professionals.
14. Promotes cooperation and collaboration among the Investment Team and with external service providers.
15. Promotes organizational efficiency through high professional standards.
• A Bachelor’s Degree and a minimum of seven (7) years of directly related professional experience is required; Applicable education includes investment management, business administration, accounting, financial management, economics, mathematics, statistics, or related field. An understanding of financial theory and statistical measures.
• Prior experience conducting investment manager research, sourcing, and due diligence in an institutional investment setting (pension fund, endowment, asset management, etc.) is preferred.
• 5 years supervisory experience
• MBA or related master’s degree is preferred
• Progress toward Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA), Chartered Alternative Investment Analyst (CAIA), or related designations is preferred.
Required Investment Knowledge:
• Purpose, principle and theory of institutional portfolio management and statistical analysis
• Business, monetary and economic trends and practices
• Security analysis, financial forecasting and modeling
• The position is based in Santa Fe, NM
• Remote work is allowed 3 days per week, candidate must live in the State of New Mexico, per Governor mandated order
• This is an exempt, at-will position
• Salary range is $ 165,000 – 180,000
Please send a current resume and cover letter including previous track record in manager selection to LeAnne Larrañaga-Ruffy at Public Employees Retirement Association of New Mexico. Only candidates chosen to participate in interviews will be contacted. Active recruiting began January 1, 2023 and will remain open until filled.
PERA New Mexico is committed to the principles of equal employment and workforce diversity
More searches like this
- Credit Analysis Government CFA Charterholder Full Time jobs in Bachelors
- Economics Government CFA Charterholder Full Time jobs in Bachelors
- Hedge Funds Government CFA Charterholder Full Time jobs in Bachelors
- Multimanager Strategies Government CFA Charterholder Full Time jobs in Bachelors
- Performance Analysis Government CFA Charterholder Full Time jobs in Bachelors